Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:43
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 6, 2016

On importing Excel files, I have been using extensively the feature in "Document import settings" that allows one to select ranges in the Excel. Since recently however the option "select ranges in Excel" returns with "Failed to open file" message box. This happens

i) for different Excel file extensions (xls, xlsx)
ii) for different (and all) excel files
iii) different filter (plain excel and excel for .... 2013) in the settings
iv) both for MemoQ 2014 R2 and 2015
... See more
On importing Excel files, I have been using extensively the feature in "Document import settings" that allows one to select ranges in the Excel. Since recently however the option "select ranges in Excel" returns with "Failed to open file" message box. This happens

i) for different Excel file extensions (xls, xlsx)
ii) for different (and all) excel files
iii) different filter (plain excel and excel for .... 2013) in the settings
iv) both for MemoQ 2014 R2 and 2015 (! - both performed correctly and as expected week or two ago)

The Office version used is office professional 2016, installed middle of December - saying MemoQ worked correctly already with this version (could of course be some silent upgrade, who th knows...)

remains only my (oh well, yes, I know, well, can we stick to the subject?) windows 10 OS as a possible source of "misunderstandings". I tried compatibility set-up for "as suggested" and for win7, without any effect.

Note that I can work around by typing in the range(s) (e.g. Sheet!B200:B255) but that sucks - I know and like the rationale for "Select ranges in Excel" - and miss it.

"When everything else fails" suggestion by Kilgray - "Deinstall MemoQ and reinstall it again" just does not make much sense in this situation.

Any suggestions?

TiA

smo

PS: no, the excel files are not R/O. And, no, I do not have them opened while doing the import.
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:43
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Multilingual delimited text filter Jan 6, 2016

Instead of Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 filter try using the multilingual delimited text filter selected from a drop-down list during import of an Excel file. Then press Change filter and configuration and select Columns tab. Then you can select which columns must be translated.

I use memoQ 7.8.116 and if I need to use Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 filter, the Select ranges in Excel option is there in Importable ranges and general options tab.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Practical workaround - Thx! Jan 7, 2016

As my excel files always have a column "translated", where I initially place the source text, the suggestion works nicely. THX!

I still - of course - would welcome suggestions, how to solve the problem of failing "select ranges in Excel" feature in ExCel filters.

Regards

smo

Leopoldo Gurman
Leopoldo Gurman
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
Check the files path Jul 15, 2017

Hi Vito,

I've run into the same problem you have and thought I'd post my solution (took a while to figure it out). The error message isn't very helpful but it describes the problem perfectly: memoQ can't open the file. Next time you encounter this issue, try moving the file to a location with a shorter path, it did the trick for me.

Leo

Gusztáv Jánvári

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem Jun 6, 2018

In my case it happened when I migrated to a new computer. Everything else works except that. It's very frustrating because it's one of the best features in memoQ and I use it almost every week.
I have tried what is suggested here (short path name, change the file so it's more compatible, try with 20 different files, change filters, deactivate preview). The column solution is not an option since some cells in the columns are translatable and some not.
The Excel version I use is the l
... See more
In my case it happened when I migrated to a new computer. Everything else works except that. It's very frustrating because it's one of the best features in memoQ and I use it almost every week.
I have tried what is suggested here (short path name, change the file so it's more compatible, try with 20 different files, change filters, deactivate preview). The column solution is not an option since some cells in the columns are translatable and some not.
The Excel version I use is the latest, Office 365.

What it feels like is like memoQ cannot detect the Excel exe file. It can import Excel documents and export them but it doesn't detect the program from the Import cells menu...

MemoQ 8.4
Windows 10
Microsoft Office 365
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It happened ever since the first build of 8.4 was released Jun 6, 2018

The problem was there since the first build of version 8.4, which I tried as a demo, and still exists in the current build: build 8.4.10.

The workaround is to type in the ranges instead of selecting them, i.e. press the Add button and type something like Sheet1!A1:B100.

Until, of course, someone decides to report this bug and they decide to fix it.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
It works in 8.4.10 Jun 6, 2018

It works perfectly fine here in 8.4.10.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Office version Jun 6, 2018

With what version of Microsoft Office does it work?

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
2007 Jun 6, 2018

With what version of Microsoft Office does it work?

MS Office Enterprise 2007

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Excel files with "select ranges in Excel" fails

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »