Rates: What are the localization editor rates in these countries?
Thread poster: paolacasla
paolacasla
paolacasla
English to Spanish
Apr 4, 2014

When I was a localization editor, I used to get paid by the hour or a small percentage of the word rate based on the typical language specific rate ranges. I was working into Spanish.
I would love to get your guidance for localization editor rates (by the hour) in these countries?
South Africa
Slovakia
Costa Rica
Ireland

Does anybody know?

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
English to German
+ ...
Don't be "typical" Apr 4, 2014

paolacasla wrote:

When I was a localization editor, I used to get paid by the hour or a small percentage of the word rate based on the typical language specific rate ranges. I was working into Spanish.
I would love to get your guidance for localization editor rates (by the hour) in these countries?
South Africa
Slovakia
Costa Rica
Ireland

Does anybody know?

There’s plenty of info if you just search for "rates" in the forums or even google what you want to know, adding "Proz.com" if you are looking for opinions from here.

It seems to me a bit naive (sorry) to expect a professional translator to talk about "typical" language-specific rates or rate ranges or for what you call "localization" editor rates. You seem to have worked as a translator before (and you registered here in 2004) - if that was a professional job you held/had - you should have been compensated adequately for your work and also know what it's like to work and make a living as a translator - that's what it's all about -> you need to figure out/calculate what is adequate, what cannot only sustain you as a translator but make it possible for you to pursue this as a career.

You don't want to charge inadequate/cheap rates - you won't last too long and it hurts us all. It doesn't matter how many thousands of people charge/pay/ask for inadequate rates - it doesn't make it right.

Too many translators today ask (very often in these forum pages) about what they SHOULD charge.

So if someone tells you the typical rate is EUR 0.06/word - are you going to accept that? It might be typical for people who don't know any better than to accept anything anyone tells them.

There is plenty of material around to help you determine what to charge, and localizing a text doesn’t mean it has to be "typically" cheaper or more expensive than other texts.

The word "typical" alone is not an appropriate word/concept when it comes to "freelancing" and "running your own business."

Just don't get lulled into accepting cheap rates and unscrupulous clients - don't get lulled into a false sense of security. That's rule #2 in my book. And don't believe everything you read here either. Educate yourself and then make an informed decision.

Rule #1 - if you run your own business/work as a freelancer - it's YOU who determines YOUR rates and it's YOU who decides what YOUR work will cost - what YOUR RATES are.

That doesn't mean you don't have to be competitive. But you offer a service, and that service should be professional and you should follow professional/best practices - you don't supply quality for inadequate rates - then you're not a professional but you are unprofessional and you let yourself be exploited. Two wrongs that never add up to one iota of "right".

"Phishing" for typical rates in these forums is also wrong - but hopefully that's not what you are trying to do here.

Here are just two links that should help beginners:

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Determining_your_rates_and_fees_as_a_translator

B

[Edited at 2014-04-04 22:04 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
English to German
+ ...
Lack of interest Apr 5, 2014

in this topic seems to be enormous.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates: What are the localization editor rates in these countries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »